- May 7, 2019 at 2:01 AM #16523
Looking good bro! I like to always update the ignition and electrical on older bikes to make it more reliable and less finicky. I can give you a few links for videos and info on making a removable rear cowl that goes over the rear of the seat if you need it.May 10, 2019 at 3:35 PM #16554
Any links would be great Nolan. Thanks.
Discovered the bike already had the contact breakers swapped for electronic ignition. But everything else is stock though.May 11, 2019 at 8:23 AM #16562
So a bit of an update.
Work is almost complete.
As mentioned, got all the wiring in. Its nice and neat and open behind the engine area, and whilst the undertray looks like a rats nest, it all fits well and is secure.
Took off the valve cover, surprisingly all the tappet clearances were in spec, certainly no large clearances that would cause excessive noise. So I’m just going to monitor it for now, it could be valve springs getting soft, which swapping those is not a job I’m keen to tackle at the moment
Also checked out the ignition system and as mentioned above, found contact breaker points had been swapped for electronic. Not the best kit as it does not allow for any adjustment of the 2-3 cylinder timing independent of the 1-4 cylinder, but it all seems to work fine, gave the mechanical advancer a clean. Just going to check timing with a timing light this week out of curiosity.
Also had to the do a small repair to the front brake light switch. One side of the contacts had worn away, so did a little be of solder repair. See how well that goes, at the moment its working great.
Knocked up the choke cable that I posted about on Facebook. After using it several times now it works really well.
With regards to the bike running rough at high RPM, deduced that it was probably run a little lean. Adjustment to the mixture screw (which I had arbitrarily set after rebuilding carbs) to richen the mixture seems to have solved the high rpm stalling. I’m also going to play around with covering up some of the pod filter intake area, see if that effects things also.
Unfortunately, could not get the front brakes to firm up, suspect the lines have gone a little soft, so new lines are on order, hopefully here in a week and a bit.
So the bike finally reached a point where I could get it signed off by an engineer. That all went well, he had some questions over lights and exhausts and I learnt some things about what was important for various ages of bike from a certification point of view. Once the brake lines are here, bike goes for a RWC and then I can finally get it registered.
I’m really happy with how it turned out, every time I see it in the shed I get a little more proud. The final piece of the puzzle is a rear cowl, so I have started shaping that up. Trying to recall all the things I learnt from doing the front fender. Its good to play around with some metal again. Its been interesting trying to shrink the back corners of the cowl in. Discovered I need a smaller shrinking bowl.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.